Wisconsin SSI Exceptional Expense Supplement (SSI-E)

Page Reviewed / Updated - Feb. 2016

Program Description

The Wisconsin Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Exceptional Expense Supplement provides a subsidy of $179.77 a month to SSI recipients when there is a demonstrated need for 40 or more hours a month of supportive services or in-home care. Eligible couples can qualify to receive $477.41 in 2016 through the SSI-E Expense Supplement. Individuals do not necessarily have to be receiving 40 or more hours of care, only to have been assessed and found to have the need for that amount of care. Assistance is provided to individuals living at home, in the home of caregivers, in adult family care, or in assisted living residences, sometimes referred to as Residential Care Apartment Complexes.

Did You Know? Wisconsin is among the top 5 US states for the highest percentage of assisted living units per resident. Free assistance is available to help residents find assisted living within their budgets. Learn more.


Eligibility Guidelines

In addition to the 40 hours of care requirement for Exceptional Expense Supplement described above, the Supplement requires that recipient be eligible for SSI.  Full qualification information for SSI is available here.  

Briefly, for 2016, SSI requires an individual to have less than $2,000 in countable resources and monthly income less than $733. SSI recipients get their income topped up to the federal benefit level of $733 per month and also qualify for other supports, such as this Wisconsin extension of SSI benefits.


Benefits and Services

The Exceptional Expense Supplement is valued $179 and $477, for an individual and a couple, respectively. It is paid out to SSI recipients over their existing monthly SSI payment. The actual amount may vary based on the location in which the recipient lives. Those who live in Natural Residential Settings, which essentially means for those who live at home, the payment may be slightly higher. For those who live in a Substitute Care Facility, which in plain language means assisted living or adult foster care, the subsidy may be slightly less.


How to Apply / Learn More

Although the administering body for this program is the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Division of Disability & Elder Services (DDES), one should not contact them directly. Instead to apply persons should contact their local county department of social or human services. Alternatively, one can call 1-800-362-3002 for more information.   Some limited additional information is available here.