Page Reviewed / Updated – October 01, 2019


Non-profit organizations, both those which are condition-specific, such as for Alzheimer’s patients, and those that serve the wider disabled or elderly community sometimes provide grants to help individuals pay for home accessibility and safety modifications. Follows are details on 2 programs as well as links to many national organizations that may also offer assistance. One should check with the local chapter of organizations relevant to the individual who requires care to see what programs are available.

National Multiple Sclerosis Society

The MS Society offers a Modifications Assistance Grant (MAG) that enables patients to make modifications to their homes and vehicles. The program varies in details with each local chapter, but generally helps families whose incomes are less than 300% of the federal poverty limit (approximately $36,180 / year for a single individual or $48,720 for a married couple in 2017).  Find your local MS Society Chapter.

ALS Association (Lou Gehrig’s disease)

This organization has an environment adaptation equipment lending program, which is also managed at the local chapter level. Equipment, such as environmental controls for remote operation of home appliances, lighting, and consumer electronics are lent to participants at no cost on a long-term basis. This equipment makes living independently more manageable for individuals with ALS. Some chapters also have a grant assistance program that is for available for home modifications, such as wheelchair ramps and roll-in showers.  Find local ALS Association chapters through their national website.

Eldercare Financial Assistance Locator

  • Discover all of your options
  • Search over 400 Programs