As of July 2011, the State of Hawaii discontinued funding for their SPAP. We continue to maintain this webpage about the program to make residents aware of the change and with the hope that the program will be in re-instated as funding permits in the future.
There are many other forms of financial assistance for prescription drugs. Read about them here.
The Hawaii State Pharmacy Assistance Program, or Hawaii SPAP for short, is a program that provides financial assistance to elderly Hawai’i residents that do not qualify for Medicaid or have other insurance that covers their prescription costs. Enrollment in a Medicare Part D plan is required and assistance is provided with the co-payments and premiums.
To be eligible for this program, seniors must meet the following criteria:
- Be a legal state resident
- Age 65 years or older
- Must be enrolled (or willing to enroll) in a Medicare Part D plan
- Cannot receive Medicaid or other public assistance
- Annual income limit is 150% of the Federal Poverty Guideline. For an individual in 2011, the limit is $18,810 and for a couple, it is $25,395
- Assets cannot exceed an unpublished asset limit.
Benefits and Services
Financial assistance with prescription co-payments and premiums. There is no cost to participate.
How to Apply / Learn More
Visit the Hawaii SPAP website or call their toll free number at (866) 878-9769.