West Virginia’s Ron Yost Personal Assistance Services (RYPAS) Program

Page Reviewed / Updated - May  2017

Program Description

The Ron Yost Personal Assistance Services program, abbreviated as RYPAS, provides financial assistance for personal care services to assist elderly and / or disabled West Virginia residents in achieving their activities of daily living. Assisting in these activities, such as bathing and grooming, helps them to remain living in their homes and communities. Although this is not a Medicaid program, it is modeled after the Medicaid concept of Cash and Counseling. This concept is also referred to as participant direction, self-direction, and consumer direction. The idea is that the program participant has control over who provides their care instead of the program administrators. Thereby, increasing the satisfaction of the participant and lowering the administrative cost of the program.

Friends, neighbors, and even many family members, can be hired to provide personal assistance, transportation, and to assist with light home maintenance that the program participant cannot manage on their own.

 Did You Know?  West Virginia offers several other programs that assist aging individuals in their home.  Learn about the FAIR Program, Personal Care Program and the Lighthouse Program.


Eligibility Guidelines

Residential and Functional Ability
To be eligible for this program, participants must live in West Virginia and have a disability that is expected to continue for a minimum of 12 months. The disability must be significant enough that it requires the individual to receive assistance in order to complete their activities of daily living such as eating, dressing, bathing or basic mobility.

Financial Range
Individuals must not be eligible to receive Medicaid services. This means the program has lower income limits that change based on the applicant's constituent group (an elderly individual has different criteria than a younger adult). Generally speaking, to receive personal care from WV Medicaid at home for aging persons requires their monthly income not exceed $2,205 and their countable assets (which exclude home equity) not exceed $2,000. Persons under these limits will be eligible for Medicaid, and therefore, cannot be eligible for the Ron Yost Program.

Ron Yost also has fixed upper income limits, above which financial assistance is not provided. The latest published information, as of 2017, sets the annual upper income limit at $38,000.

Funding is provided on a sliding scale. Those with larger discrepancies between their expenses and incomes are eligible for more assistance and will receive priority. For instance, those with an annual income under $21,999 are reimbursed the maximum allocated hourly wage for care assistance, while those with an income between $34,000 and $34,999 are reimbursed 46% of the allocated maximum hourly wage for care assistance.


Benefits and Services

This program provides financial assistance in the form of reimbursement checks to participants so that they can hire personal care assistants. Program participants are allocated up to $7.25 / hour to pay a personal assistant.  The maximum allowable hours of assistance for any one program participant was unpublished at the time of writing.

Personal assistants can provide care with the following types of activities and instrumental activities of daily living.

  • Basic mobility in and around the home
  • Transportation assistance away from the home
  • Bathing and personal hygiene
  • Dressing
  • Meal preparation
  • Meal planning and grocery shopping
  • Basic housekeeping and laundry
  • Bill paying


How to Apply / Learn More

One can learn more about the program and begin the application process on the program’s webpage or by calling 1-855-855-9743. As part of the application process individuals are required to apply for Medicaid and if rejected they can then be considered for the Ron Yost program.  A printable PDF format brochure about the program can be downloaded here.

The Ron Yost Program is administered by the Statewide Independent Living Council, not by the WV Bureau of Senior Services as commonly believed.

 Applicants, if they have not already done so, must first apply for WV Medicaid's Aged and Disabled Waiver and Personal Care Services.