Colorado Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services (CDASS) Program

Page Reviewed / Updated - Jan. 2019

What is a Medicaid Waiver?
For persons with limited financial resources, Medicaid pays for nursing home care. For those who wish to live at home or in assisted living, sometimes Medicaid will pay for care in those locations if it can be obtained at a lower cost than in a nursing home. It does this through "Medicaid Waivers" which are also called Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waivers or Waiver Funded Services.

Waiver Description

Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services (CDASS) is not a Medicaid program, per se, but rather a way to empower participants and their families to make home care more personalized and responsive. Disabled and elderly individuals must be participating in a program to receive long term care outside of a nursing home. The CDASS Program is based on the “Cash and Counseling” model in which the individual receiving care is responsible for the direction of their care, including hiring, training, and managing his or her care attendant. This program model is also referred to as self-direction or participant-directed care. However, with CDASS, an authorized representative, who may be a trusted friend or family member, may fulfill these responsibilities for the eligible individual. 

"Family members, including the adult children, can be hired and receive payment for being caregivers."

Under Colorado's CDASS program, participants are allocated the funds that would otherwise go towards paying a care provider. Participants are then responsible for hiring their own personal care providers. Family members, including adult children, can be hired and receive payment for being caregivers. The rules regarding hiring a spouse to provide care are somewhat more restrictive. Spouses can receive payment only if it is determined that the care they provide is significantly more than a spouse would ordinarily provide to a disabled individual.

Medicaid tightly regulates the amount that caregivers are paid. The average hourly rate for home care in Colorado is $26.25. Caregivers paid through Medicaid receive an hourly rate well less than the state average. While the exact amount was not available, it is safe to assume Medicaid funded home care pays somewhere between 50% and 75% of the state average, or approximately $13.25 - $19.25 / hour.

Despite the Cash and Counseling name, funds are not provided directly to program participants. Instead, Colorado makes use of a financial intermediary called Public Partnerships Colorado (PPL CO) who makes payments to the care providers, who are approved by the program participant.

Eligibility Guidelines

To be eligible for the CDASS program, seniors must be residents of Colorado who are receiving services under, or qualify for Colorado’s Elderly, Blind and Disabled (EBD) waiver or another of Colorado's Medicaid waivers. Unfortunately only the EBD waiver is relevant to the elderly.

The EBD Waiver considers both the applicant's functional ability and his/her ability to pay privately for care. Functionally, applicants must be qualified for a nursing home level of care. However, they must choose to live at home or in the community and elect to self-direct their care.  Financial eligibility for this waiver (and Colorado Medicaid) is complicated. The state considers 3 factors.

Income - in 2019, an unmarried, divorced or widowed applicant can have no more than $2,313 in gross monthly income, which is equal to $27,756 per year. However, if he/she is married and his/her spouse is not applying, only income in the applicant’s name is counted for their application. Said another way, the income of a non-applicant spouse does not impact the applicant spouse’s eligibility. In 2019, a non-applying spouse can be allocated up to $3,090 of monthly income. Doing so can help to lower the applicant's income to within the eligibility limit.

Assets - in 2018, the countable resource limit is $2,000 for a single applicant. If married, a non-applicant spouse is permitted to retain up to $126,420 in resources. Different from income rules, all assets of a married couple are considered jointly owned by the couple, even if only one spouse is applying for Medicaid. However, certain assets are exempt, meaning they are not counted towards the asset limit. For instance, the couples’ home is exempt, provided one of the spouses continues to live in it, and the home equity value does not exceed $585,000.

Asset Transfers - to prevent families from giving away their assets to meet the Medicaid eligibility limit, past asset transfers as far as 5 years preceding one's Medicaid application date are evaluated.

In Colorado, it is possible to still qualify for Medicaid when one is over the limits through a process known as Medicaid planning. Income over the limits can be allocated into Qualified Income Trusts to enable the applicant to become eligible. Countable assets can be converted into non-countable assets such as funeral trusts or home equity. While not everyone can qualify, those who are near the limits and cannot afford their cost of care, might consider this approach. Find assistance applying for Medicaid.

Did You Know?  Colorado offers several assistance programs for seniors who are not eligible for Medicaid; these are the Old Age Pension, Home Care Allowance and Adult Foster Care

Benefits and Services

Under the CDASS program, personal care / attendant care services, including assistance with any of the activities of daily living, such as bathing, eating, moving, and dressing, are covered. Assistance with activities involving an applicant’s health, such as managing medication and providing wound care, as well as homemaker services, such as housekeeping, grocery shopping and meal preparation are also covered. 

Family members and relatives can be hired to provide most of these services.  In certain situations, Colorado even permits spouses to receive compensation.

How to Apply / Learn More

For more information about this statewide program, click here. Individuals currently on Medicaid (Health First Colorado) should contact Single Entry Point (SEP). Click here to find your local office. If an individual is not currently on Medicaid, he or she must apply for the Medicaid supported waiver services. Click here to find your county contact information. One can also apply online.