State Assistance Programs for Aging in Place Home Modifications

Page Reviewed / Updated - May 2014


Some states have financial assistance programs, often called nursing home diversion programs that are not funded by Medicaid. The objective of these programs is to prevent the unnecessary institutionalization of the elderly. To that end these programs help pay for home modifications to enable the elderly and disabled to remain living at home. In addition, to helping seniors pay for environmental adaptations to their homes, some of these programs help pay for assistive technologies.

Typically the types of modifications covered by these programs include wheelchair ramps, bathroom re-models, stair-lifts, doorway widening and kitchen modifications. These programs may include grants or loans or often a combination of grants and loans are provided.


Each state's program has different eligibility requirements, clicking on the program name links below will take visitors to pages which details the requirements.  Generally speaking, there are the following types of requirements.  Persons must be elderly or disabled.  They must be living at home, renting a home or living in the home of a caregiver (they cannot receive assistance if they reside in assisted living or a nursing home).  Most programs have annual or monthly income limits and some consider the applicant's total financial resources (their "countable assets").


List of Programs

It is unfortunate that not every state offers an assistance programs and many of those which do offer assistance do so only for care services and not for home safety modifications.  However, at last review, there were 27 programs in 20 different states. The following state based programs provide some level of financial assistance or services to help the elderly make home modifications to allow them to remain living in their homes.  Click on any of the program names to learn more.